This course explores values and attitudes relevant to practicing within a cultural competency framework, and enables staff to build some of the skills and knowledge required by the cultural competency approach. The course is highly participatory and uses a broad range of learning materials to stimulate and inspire participants. Feedback for this course has been extremely positive, with participants being surprised and positively challenged by a fresh approach to considering values and attitudes to diversity in all its forms.
- Definition of cultural competency, culture and diversity
- The impact of culture on perception, behaviour and adapting to unfamiliar situations
- Exploring your culture and cultural values
- The five elements of cultural competency
- Practical skills to work effectively in a context of difference
- Cultural Competency at the individual level
- Applying Cultural Competency in the workplace
- Organisational Cultural Competency (an introduction and resources)
- It was one of the most interesting & interactive training sessions I have been to in 9 yrs of community service sector work.
- Course was very well resourced and researched and the presentation was very engaging, energetic and enthusiastic.
- I can now see the possibilities for our service to embrace the concepts & be pro active in engaging the diversity of cultures